Thursday, January 21, 2021

DONALD GWIRA, AN ANGEL IN HUMAN FORM

 DONALD GWIRA, AN ANGEL IN HUMAN FORM

Many who have monitored my education and, if you like, career, keep wondering why I ‘betrayed’ my first love’, journalism, and veered into something else soon after graduating from the Ghana Institute of Journalism (GIJ).  Till date, a lot these people who knew about my level of obsession with journalism keep asking what could be keeping me away from the career I was so passionate about, growing up.

That is another story to be told. Today, I simply want to tell you about some really refreshing experiences that have come to convince me beyond doubt that angels exist in human form right here on earth. If you haven’t encountered any, I have.

In 2009, I had a golden opportunity to join the corporate communications department of Zain Telecommunications Ghana (which later transformed into Airtel Ghana); my job title was PR Coordinator and I was mainly in charge of Media Relations - a role I really fancied at the time.

The people I met in there and the interesting learning experiences I went through have been the most compelling set of factors that influenced what I still consider a prudent switch from journalism (my first love) to Public Relations.

Mr. Donald Gwira was one of the bosses I was privileged to work with. He joined the company as the head of the Communications Department around the time I was wrapping up my stint with the firm and so we parted company just around the time our paths crossed. I don’t remember working with (or under) him for more than three months – I had to go and I left. He knew very little about me so I didn’t really expect him to do me any favour.


Unbeknown to me, this man had spotted something in me and took special interest in my career. It was a pleasant surprise when I had a call from one of the breweries to come for assessment for the role of a communications officer, based on Donald’s recommendation. Guess what, I missed that big opportunity narrowly because of some basic errors in the script I produced during the written assessment. 'The thing pain me oooo'.

In my estimation, I had embarrassed him and shredded the confidence he had in me but he proved me wrong and drew even closer. The relationship grew stronger; Donald will not stop pampering me like his own son. He kept showing me the way to the top of the PR profession and throwing more offers at me.

Toward the mid of 2018, I had just resigned from my job due to ill-health and was shuttling between hospitals fiercely fighting my way back to good health. I was gradually mending but there was no immediate plan to return to full time employment. Then the call came from one of these finance companies that someone had strongly recommended me for the position of a Corporate Communications Manager. I couldn’t escape the conclusion that Donald was architect behind the move. A call to him would later confirm that.  

Despite that fact that I was trapped in an ailing body, I was hesitant giving him excuses so I prayed about it and consulted a few friends including 'that boy' called Paa Kwesi Forson to pick their brain on my dilemma – to go or not to go, given the challenges at hand. They were all like ‘go”, don’t allow the sickness to hold you down.  

I attended two interviews; saying they were grueling will be an understatement, but I came top of the candidates and had my offer letter waiting for the agreed date to start work in a new environment and a new sector that promised to be challenging and equally rewarding.

While I was relishing the prospect, I had yet another call from a leading brand in the media space and the news was that someone had recommended me to take up the role of CSR Manager. I attended that interview too. In essence, I had these two opportunities to choose from. I settled for the former, after thorough consideration and took up the Corporate Communications Manager role in May 2018.

You won’t believe that Donald drove, on many occasions, to my office to see how I was faring and offer some tips to enable me excel in the role. I can go on and on and on.  

I think Donald believes in me more than I do myself. When you have people like this around you, you can only reach for the skies. It is this belief in me that makes me feel like I can be (and will be) the next UN Secretary General from Ghana. I have started working on that dream, and bigger ones.

Folks, do convey gratitude to Donald, and remember to tell him I said I will make him proud one day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment