Thursday, February 11, 2021

DIPO AND KLAMA ARE NOT THE SAME

 DIPO AND KLAMA ARE NOT THE SAME



This year, I drew closer to the Kloyosipklemi festival of the chiefs and people of Yilo Krobo. I made sure I was in town around that period and participated in some of the activities including the pilgrimage to the ancestral home, the Krobo Mountain. I was also at the grand durbar on the invitation of Nene Amoatey Akpatsu Azza VI, Divisional Chief of Nyewer.

Folks, I was awed by a lot of things especially at the durbar, the most enchanting was the klama performance. I was busy savouring the moment; the nice tune; the rich, poetic and historical lyrics and feeding my eyes with the dazzling beauty of the nubile ‘girls’ performing the klama dance when snippets of a conversation between some lads seated next to me hit my eardrum.


My attention shifted to them momentarily. It was obvious from the line of argument that one of them didn’t know the difference between dipo and klama. To one of the guys, once he saw the ladies dressed as they did (in beads, cloths, headgear and dangling loin cloths), and dancing, they were performing dipo.

Nothing was more surprising than the confidence with which the dude was advertising his ignorance about the subject matter. I wasn’t invited to join the conversation so I turned my attention back to the refreshing sight the event was offering me and I made sure I had a single-minded focus on the dancers from that point.

One of the dancers noticed I was keenly interested in what they were doing so she flashed a cheerful grin in my direction and I also winked in acknowledgement. You see your life, you want me to tell you more about that, right? It’s pure ‘toli’, so let’s get back to the essence of this post, the difference between dipo and klama.

Dipo is a whole rite involving different rituals while klama is simply a cultural or folk dance. Let me offer a more detailed explanation.


DIPO: Dipo is a nubility rite - of ancient renown - performed by some of the the Dangme speaking tribes of this beautiful country of ours called Ghana. It involves a  chain of rituals performed for nubile girls with the belief that through the rite, the girls transition into adulthood and obtain ‘full status’ in the tribal community. (Definition partly stolen from Hugo Huber’s book, The Krobo).

Fact is, dipo has come to be associated more with my people, Krobos, than any of the other Dangme tribes. The whole rite has however been greatly impacted by Christianity, formal education, modernity and other socio-economic factors to the extent that the fear and reverence it evoked in the past have waned considerably.

Now, views over its relevance and justifications for its continuous performance are quite mixed. I must say that throughout its changing phases, dipo has aroused debates and generated diverse opinions and controversies which have led to various forms of (usually) skewed analysis and interpretations by different schools of thought. To cut it short, dipo is a whole rite involving a set of rituals.

KLAMA: Klama, on the other hand, is an indigenous dance of Krobo origin, performed mainly at festive occasions - such as during the performance of dipo rites, marriage ceremonies - and rarely at somber events such as funerals of traditional priests, and chiefs.

The klama rhythm or sound is composed of beats from a set of drums, gong and a casaba of gourd or beaded gourd, known locally as fau.

The dance move is characterized by a slow graceful, rhythmic body movement and the shuffling of feet. Typically, the left arm is raised horizontally a little above the waist level, and the wrist is wriggled mildly in tune with the beat while the right arm, which points to the ground swings gently in conformity.

Simply put, klama is a cultural/folk dance and not a ritual or rite.

Click this link for a typical klama rendition: https://youtu.be/j4ZzuCIx7AM. I remember recording and uploading this video about five years ago during an event at the Roman Catholic Parish, Agormanya.

So nobody will begrudge you if you say klama and dipo move hand in hand, but note that they are NOT the same. 

My 2 by 4 explanation. You can add on for purposes of education, folks.


NB: First published Saturday 19th December, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment